Many of our staff at Virgin work flexibly and in many different ways, including different core hours or remote working. Please talk to us at your application or interview stage about the flexibility you need. We can’t promise to give you exactly what you want, but we are happy to explore what’s possible for the role
In a nutshell
At Virgin Atlantic, we’re just as passionate as we’ve always been about becoming the most loved travel company. It’s been an uncertain year, for us, for everyone. There’s been ups and downs, some successes, and some sadness. One thing we know for sure – this year has shown that when we combine our brand with the power of amazing people, we make something truly magical.
Virgin Atlantic is still proudly flying, creating the same fabulous flight experience we’re famous for, and we’re busily laying the foundations for a profitable future. We know that the right people are key to creating success – so we’re looking for someone brilliant to join our team and help us achieve our vision. Perhaps that’s you? We’d love to find out.
In this role you’ll establish, operate and control the RPA & TBox accounting flows into the G/L. You’ll deliver accurate, reliable and timely books of account for Virgin Atlantic and Virgin Atlantic Holidays revenue & cost in line with business requirements and recognised in accordance with IFRS. Also with controlling, monitoring and reporting on the full Virgin Atlantic Holidays balance sheet, and have ownership for relevant VAA revenue and tax related balance sheet accounts. You will be accountable for the accurate reporting of VAA & VAH revenues & costs and will play a key role in developing and maintaining the interfaces between reservation & accounting systems (RPA/Tbox) and Oracle. The expectation is that you will be able to make a significant contribution towards improving and de-risking the monthly close process while ensuring all GL postings are accurate & complete.
You’ll be a key point of contact between teams including Business Partners, Revenue Accounts, the Holidays Business and the Financial Accounting team. Although the RPA & Tbox systems are managed by others, you will be accountable for understanding and challenging the data that is produced and continually looking to improve the process to drive more accurate, efficient and robust processes (including testing of improvements in these processes). This role also oversees the reconciliation of all deferred revenue, Holidays costs and indirect taxes and has responsibility for ensuring these are produced in timely and accurate manner. With key responsibility for making sure that controls are maintained around all accounting related GL activities in the area such as providing oversight of inconsistencies and processing errors.
Day to Day
- Ensure timely, accurate and complete WD3 airline flown and ancillary revenue
- Supervise close of month end, TravelBox margin and overheads for Virgin Holidays
- Ensure accurate and timely capture of all accounting entries throughout month end cycle
- Ensure that the balance sheet accounts are appropriately reconciled, reviewed, fully understood and provide meaningful analysis of movements in forward sales, costs and taxes
- Conduct ‘audit’ of selected recs on an adhoc basis checking format, documentation and calculations to ensure best practice is being observed. Co-ordinate changes with the Finance Systems and Controls Manager as needed
- Oversee process mapping of ticket/booking lifecycles and necessary accounting entries to produce a full reconciliation of sales transactions between the core reservation (Air 4/Tbox) systems, cash and general ledger
- Identify and resolve issues which impede the reconciliation process working with the Revenue Accounting & the Virgin Atlantic Holidays teams (including pushing for the resolution of system bugs and errors)
- Provide on-going support to the Head of R&M by taking ownership of both large and small projects
- Assist in the preparation of the audit file and co-ordinate audit activities.
- Strong ability to exercise independent professional judgment and problem-solving skills within an overall business context
- Ability to dissect, redesign and implement process simplification identifying weak processes and controls for improvement
- Ability to articulate technical transactional processes
Be Yourself – Our Differences make us stronger
Please be aware as part of our recruitment process we may look to use a variety of resourcing tools to help us understand your skills and experience in relation to the role you have applied for. These may include application questions, video interviews or online testing. Please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if there are any reasonable adjustments to our process that you would like us to consider, for example use of hearing loops, sign language interpreter etc. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if there are any issues preventing you from being at your best during your application or assessment process. Any issues raised after your assessment is completed or once a decision has been made will be too late for us to consider within our process.
You’ll be assessed against our values for a selection of your interview process, learn more about them here: Our Values